Gluten free and vegan foodies unite! I created a masterpiece.
Lentil pizza… I know some of you are thinking, what the heck is that?
Guys I’m a pizza lover and being gluten and dairy free has made eating pizza pretty difficult.
Like all my other recipes I was on a mission to create a crunchy, chewy and flavorful crust that was gluten and dairy free. My husband loves it, which is huge! No only does he love it, he requests it all the time.
I even made these for my in laws, which was scary because they are pretty picky/particular about their food. They LOVED it and so did Joe’s sister. It took a lot of practice to get the perfect flavor and texture. Enjoy guys, you deserve it!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove (peeled, but not pressed)
- 1 tablespoon Sicilian spices or oregano
- 1 cup + of sauce (depends how much you like on your pizza)
- optional toppings: 1/4 cup spinach, 1/4 pepper, 1/2 broccoli crown, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, & black olives
- optional cheese as a topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. (optional)
- In a blender add 1 cup lentils, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon spices and 1 garlic clove.
- Turn on blender for about 1 minute. (You should hardly see the round lentils)
- Add the other 1/2 cup water to the mix and blend for another 1-1.5 minutes.
- On an electric skillet turn heat to 350 and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the middle.
- Drop 1 large serving spoon size onto the skillet (or more, depending on how large you want the pizzas)
- Spread the mixture out with 1/2 inch or less in thickness. Smooth into a round pizza shape, let it cook for 1 minute on this side.
- Take the pan and tilt the oil around to the edges, add a teaspoon more if needed.
- Take a spatula and slowly go around the edges and flip.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil if needed and cook for another 1-1.5 minutes.
- Place a paper towel on the plate and drop crust on the plate.
- Add sauce and toppings to the pizza. (I pre chop and sauté my veggies so they are already cooked and ready to go.)
- Place on the rack in the oven for 2-4 minutes to further crisp the crust (optional)
- Remove from oven, cut with pizza slicer and serve.