I’m getting creative in the kitchen guys! It’s the only way this foodie can hang with all my diet restrictions. I have cut out gluten, dairy and all animal products.
Why? The gluten and dairy I cut out due to my IBS. The gluten I realized also heightens my anxiety and gives me insomnia. I stopped eating meat because the arthritis in my hands was so bad that I would cry at night for my husband to rub my hands. I could hardly type or get Izzy in and out of her carseat. My hand have never been better! Removing animal produces has been an amazing and natural anti inflammatory for me.
Back to the food! I created this burger because I miss sandwiches and burgers. I honestly don’t know a foodie who doesn’t love biting into a big burger or sandwich. This is messy and super flavorful, so enjoy!
- 3-5 baby bells mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 loose cup baby spinach
- 1 red onion
- 1 eggplant
- olive oil
- gluten free buns
- gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup water
- tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices
- Add half a jar of sauce in the cooking pan & 1/4 cup water
- Lightly sprinkle gf flour & salt & pepper to each one
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to each eggplant slice
- Drizzle some sauce/water mixture from the pan on top
- Bake 400 for 45+ mins
- Prep the gluten free buns. I used pure knead. They come frozen so I leave them out to thaw while the eggplant cooks. Set them in oven for a few minutes to warm up after the egg plants come out.
- Slice red onion and sauté the slices in olive oil, pepper & salt. Add 2 tablespoons water to soften the onions. Set aside once done.
- Chop baby spinach & mushrooms. Add mushrooms to a pan with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once cooked down add baby spinach. Once the spinach is in, mix add 1 pressed garlic clove. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the rest of the sauce in a pan.
- To create the burger place the bottom bun on the plate. Add the eggplant and a spoonful of sauce. Add the spinach and mushroom mixture to the eggplant and top with onions. Add lettuce then the top bun.
- Serve with heated sauce for dipping.
- It's messy, but delicious!