Hyperemesis Gravidarum sucks, stop telling me every pregnancy is different!

Hyperemesis gravidarum is different for everyone, yet miserable for everyone who has it.

Have you heard of hyperemesis gravidarum? It’s freaking miserable! Like so terrible! I can’t explain my fear of HG except to tell you my kid is 2 and I’m still petrified by the thought of being pregnant.

I guess Izzy is that age now where everyone wants to know if we are having more. So hearing the questions and comments is what pushed me to write this post.

Don’t know much about HG? You can google it and find out a lot. You may have heard about it when Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge was pregnant and suffered with HG both times.

Okay so try having a flu that makes you puke daily or all day one day and then just a little nauseous the next and this goes on for 9 months. Does that sounds fun to you?

Sorry to be blunt, but it F*CKING sucks!

I cried so many times during my pregnancy.

I puked so much I needed a change of pants with me because I started peeing my pants while puking as I reached the middle-end of my pregnancy. Talk about humiliating.

When a woman who had HG thinks about having another child they have to decide. Do we have the finances for someone to take care of the child we already have or having family that can help. Are we prepared for the possible hospital visits. Emotionally and physically can the couple handle the strain of this sickness? Am I okay with the fact that my child will in a way suffer from not having mommy’s attention. Who is going to take over all the tasks I do as a mom.

For me I grocery shop, cook, do laundry and clean up. I take care of Izzy 24-7 and we really are not in a situation that we could have 24-7 help with Izzy and all these chores. I also have extreme guilt when I think about pretty much missing out on almost a year of her life. Did you know if you had HG that you have well over a 50% chance of getting HG again?

I’m so sick of hearing people say, “Next time it might be better.” or “Every pregnancy is different.” So, so easy for you to say if you never had HG. I suffered from severe vomiting and nausea the entire pregnancy (even on 2 medications). I even threw up during labor.

Most people I know who had HG, it got WORSE each pregnancy. I honestly can’t imagine it being worse.

I lost weight during my pregnancy early on and was told to drink ensure to up my protein. I was also told to drink fatty milkshakes and to eat canned veggies for the sodium. Mostly I sipped on ensure & ginger ale, licked the salt off saltines and puked.

People told me, “You looked so good, I gained so much weight”. Guys, I gained a total of 15 lbs during my pregnancy.. secret weapon… HG (but I promise it’s not worth being all bump).

I just have to say, please inform yourself and don’t be so uneducated when someone tells you they have had a severe condition.

HG is no joke and I’m sorry for all the woman out there who have suffered from it.

PLEASE DO NOT ask me when or if I’m having more and that it might be different this time. It’s not a definite no, but we are pretty sure one child is just perfect for us. We are happy with our healthy, bright, kind, outgoing and gorgeous little girl.

Lastly, REALLY I don’t want to hear, “But wasn’t Izzy so worth it?” Are you F*UCKING kidding me? Of course she was! Does that mean I’d like to put her, myself and my family through me being sick all over again? As I stated above, there is a lot to consider when you have had HG.

I hope this was informative so you can better understand the emotions and thoughts from someone who suffered from HG and if you had it, maybe you can relate to my experiences.

XO Eryka

46 Comments Add yours

1. So what exactly is hyperemesis gravidarum? How does someone get it? Can it be treated or can your doctor call in medicine for you?

1. busylittleizzy says:

They don’t fully know what causes it yet, but assume it’s from high levels of hormones. It can be helped with medications but they don’t always keep you from puking or feeling sick. It’s a condition of severe vomiting and nausea

2. Bessy says:

Love this honest and real post! I’m so sorry you had this horrible condition that didn’t allow you to enjoy your pregnancy. I have never heard of it until I read your post but it sounds so miserable I can’t imagine having gone through what you did.
    You’re amazing and I love your transparency in this piece!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you Bessy. I’ve been contemplating writing about it for a while. Your comment means a lot

3. Angel says:

Man I feel so bad that you had to endure this!

Thank you Angel. It was a long 9 months

4. Bottom line is that no one knows what’s best for you and your family better than you! I was sick every day and vomited several times a day for the first trimester with both and a little bit into the second but I am thankful that I can say there was a stopping point. Even still, it was such an incredibly taxing and difficult situation for the time it did last and nothing worked to alleviate it. Even with a couple hospital trips, people still try to tell me how I should be feeling..

To experience that everyday for the entire pregnancy is devastating I’m sure. Izzy is such a sweetheart and as long as your family is happy that’s all that matters!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you for your sweet response! It means so much hearing you share your experiences with me

5. mini2z says:

My kidlets are 19 & 22 and I had no idea what HG was back then but I wouldn’t want a 3rd (really a 4th but another story) pregnancy and being nauseous 24/7/ Currently nauseous 24/7 with several chronic illnesses that I wouldn’t wish this on anyone – EVER!

Whatever your parenting choice, may you choice for you and your family…

mini3z

1. busylittleizzy says:

Awe thank you so much for this heartfelt comment! You have no idea how much it means you took the time to tell me this! ❤ love to your and your family

6. This Messy season says:

I’m so glad you wrote this!! I’ve had friends go through this and it’s miserable I’ve been by how insensitive some people can be!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you! It’s wild that people just seem to dismiss it and don’t realize how serious it is

7. Jessica says:

I totally understand. I just had my third, and unfortunately, my HG did get worse with each pregnancy. No medications really helped so I’d often just take the ones that knocked me out so I could sleep and not be miserable. It’s hard. So hard. And the people commenting about how lucky I was to be so small…I’d trade the being tiny for not puking and being hospitalized any day. I’m lucky that my mom helped me a ton and my kids watched way too much tv and ate way too many happy meals this last pregnancy. No one knows what’s best for your family but your family.

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you so much for this comment! I appreciate hearing your thoughts and hearing from someone who understands the struggles of HG. Without support it really is so hard to think about having HG with a child already. Thank you again! It means so much

8. Shannon says:

My nausea and sever food aversions with both of my girls for the first trimester is enough to make me not want more (plus, we always planned for 2) but I can’t imagine how miserable HG is! Do what’s best for you, girl!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you for your support Shannon I appreciate it so much! It really is tough feeling sick for so long.

9. Frances says:

Ugh, I am always so sorry to hear of another mother having gone through this. I wouldn’t wish HG on my worst enemy! I had it with all 3 of my kids. The second and third were only better because I knew what it was and got on Zofran immediately instead of trying saltines and ginger, etc. They say catching it earlier helps…Oh! And knowing that water really triggered it for me, and mixing liquids and solids…I digress. I really wish it were worth it to someone to research it, but as we know with most things that affect women, it probably won’t for another who knows how long. The tears, the praying for it to go away (but not to the extent of taking away my baby). In any case, so glad more moms are talking about it! It’s a real thing and not just morning sickness. And the “You look great”s I got after losing 20 pounds in the first trimester really were something else…Hugs to you!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Frances thank you for your amazing words and thoughts. Zofran was my life saver as well. I joke Izzy was made on ginger ale and saltines because I couldn’t really drink water either. I’m so glad to have reached you & hope this post reaches many more people! Thank you & love to you for 3 pregnancies with HG.

10. This sounds awful. Honestly it’s no ones business if a woman chooses to have any more children. There are so many reasons why a woman won’t or can’t become pregnant that it’s really inappropriate to ask the question anymore.

I feel like that as well & thank you Jacki! It was pretty brutal

11. Oh girl, I can’t imagine how terrible all of that was! And although I pick with you sometimes about having a second, I totally respect you doing what’s best for your family. Thanks for this honest post!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you Stephanie for your sweet words! I want sure if I should hit publish on this one, but I’m glad I did

12. Sarah Vieira says:

I am so sorry you had to endure such thing being pregnant, a moment where you’re suppose to be enjoying every bit of it and not be feeling so miserable. Only YOU and your husband knows what is best for your family. Big hug to you mama! Thank you for sharing such a personal experience.

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you so much for taking time to comment & be so sweet Sarah. I appreciate it

13. My best friend went through this & you are right, I don’t wish it on anyone. So hard to see so I cannot imagine you having to do it again. All the support to you mama!!

Thank you for the supportive words Shannan! I appreciate that

14. nbanuelosblog says:

Ugh that sounds terrible! So sorry you had to go through that!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thanks you Nicole. It was pretty miserable. I got a good prize at the end, but it was a long 9 months.

15. Azzah says:

Oh my, this was very emotional post, I had bad morning sickness for the first trimester and was thinking why do people get pregnant! Of course after reading this your experience was far more traumatic than I ever imagined anyone would go through, I am really sorry that you had gone through that, I also had a traumatic birth experience that made me feel like one baby is enough there are so many reasons For a woman to decide whats the best for everyone in her family. you are a great mother I learn from you every day. thanks for sharing this I had no idea about HG 😔

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thanh you so much for taking the time to write to me. I’m so sorry about your thought first trimester and birth experience. It all can be so overwhelming because I think ppl sugar coat birth and pregnancy. Thank you for your compassion.

16. I am so glad you shared this! Thank you!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you for taking the time to read

17. 93Brandy says:

HG sufferer here, currently 33 weeks with no signs of it stopping. Little did I know until I was 4 months along, but both my mother and grandmother had HG multiple times. Your post hit the nail on the head. There have been many ignorant, insensitive comments from family and friends, and telling them that my doc has already agreed to a tubal ligation has done nothing to stop them. In fact, credit to my doc for agreeing to the surgery, but it wasn’t until I informed him of my family medical history that he finally shut up and stopped telling me that it would go away.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stand the taste of ginger ale or saltines again. I miss eating normal things, not having to worry about taking meds with me or finding a garbage can to puke in. I miss not having to do the guessing game of, ‘do I need to burp or hurl’ and the second game of ‘do I have time to get to the meds before I hurl’.

My fiance didn’t understand how bad it was until I ended up in the hospital on fluids for it. I wish people would take the time to consider moms as actual human beings instead of just incubators that pop cute babies out (or at least it seems that way), because being told that I ought to go through the dehydration, vomiting, nausea, hospital visits, cancelling work, laying on the couch from sheer exhaustion, etc. just so I can make another baby so my kid ‘isn’t lonely’ (you kidding?? He has close on a dozen cousins) or just because I’m ‘so cute’ when I’m pregnant 😐. Are you for real? Do you think I did this because I cared what I looked like? Do you think I care what your opinion of the size of my butt is? Unbelievable.

Apologies, having HG has led to some tense moments recently.

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you for your lengthy comment! They are my favorite! I love hearing others stories and finding people that I can relate with. I’m so sorry you are going through this, it’s truly miserable. No one in my family had HG so I didn’t even know much about it or think I would even have to deal with something like that. You know what’s right for you and your family. Ya I got a lot of comments about how good I looked pregnant and girls said they would rather be sick than gain the 50lbs they gained. They just have no idea.

18. Anon says:

I had HG with my daughter (my first hospital admission was at 6 weeks pregnant) and moving my head to either side used to make me puke. I had to keep deathly still. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I sobbed every day for months. Thankfully, it responded well to medication, which kept it fairly manageable as long as I was careful about what I ate.

I ended up accidentally pregnant with my son when my daughter was only 6 months old. Finding out was awful, I did want another baby but had NO idea how to cope, and I was terrified of what was coming. I don’t know if I could have done it again by choice. I called my doctor that day and we made a plan, which eased my anxiety a lot. And in the end, I was incredibly fortunate and didn’t have HG the second time.

This definitely isn’t supposed to fall under the ‘oh but you might not get it again!’ post, because I completely understand your fears. Completely. Just wanted you to have a happy story in case of ‘surprises’ you wanted to continue with. But I will never, ever judge any one with HG for any choices they make. You do what suits YOU.

1. busylittleizzy says:

I loved hearing your happy story! We are still so on the fence. My fear and anxiety about getting pregnant again is also intense. Thank you for sharing this with me.

19. sweetnlowe says:

Oh gosh, I had no where near what you went through, just severe nausea and enough vomiting to make me quit my job in the first 2 months of my pregnancy. The worst of it lasted until about I was 18 weeks but sometimes it rears it’s ugly head. The questions, assumptions and speculations I received from people when I did quit my job was enough to make me want to throw boxes of saltines and cans of ginger ale at people. I was so angry sometimes and felt so misunderstood. People would say things like, “Well I puke at work. It will get better. Are you going back to work?” I would just want to scream. I’ve read cases of HG where women felt suicidal because the suffering was so horrendous. And you know what, I don’t judge that one bit because nobody knows what it’s like to go through that kind of sickness except the person experiencing it themselves. Enjoy the heck out of your little girl and God bless you and your family. Thank you for sharing so honestly!

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you for reaching out! It’s nice to hear from other people who had HG & know I’m not alone. People would say things like that to me too. “Oh it’s because she’s a girl.” Lol um no it’s because I have a condition. I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. Thank you again for the response. I appreciate it

20. Danja says:

I had HG, and as a result my daughter had severe IUGR and weighed 3 lbs 6 oz at 36 weeks. She is now 8, and I am still too scared to have another. I still get the same questions and unsolicited advice from people. I will not risk my time with my daughter, our financial stability, or the life of a new baby to hopefully have a “normal” pregnancy. I wish people could learn to stop asking ANY woman these questions, you have no idea what has led to their decision not to have more babies, or if they’re even able to.

21. Kicksnscribbles says:

Thanks for sharing your experience, although I am sorry you suffered during your pregnancy it was so nice to read a post i related so much to. I am currently pregnant with my second little girl (due any day) and both times were total misery! I was lucky enough to get some relief by around the 5th month each time though. I was also lucky that my employer was very understanding when I had to go to the ER or take a few days off or work outside of the office when i was at my worst- continuing to work while I was sick was the hardest thing I have accomplished in my professional career lol. I also felt so guilty not being able to eat or drink enough and worried that would harm my babies. My oldest is two and i had just been promoted to a very demanding position when I found out I was expecting again. I was literally a little mad at my husband at first because he had casually brought up having another baby but I knew I could get that sick again or it could be worse and it absolutely was! Both of my little ones are well worth it but the pure torture of being that ill while balancing your existing family and responsibilities is not something to take lightly – and there’s no reason that everyone has to have multiple children! We are so excited to meet little sis but before she came along one child was perfectly ok with us:)

1. busylittleizzy says:

Loved reading your response! So glad both babes are healthy & good luck with the delivery of baby #2. It’s something not enough people talk about so it can be isolating when ppl think you are just being dramatic. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment & allowing me to connect with you.

22. Nicole says:

I also had it during my first pregnancy. I lost 17 pounds in 21 days. I was actually wearing my ‘skinny jeans’ (I could not fit those before pregnancy) at 5 months pregnant. I couldn’t drink water without vomiting. I had to crawl to the bathroom just so I could pee….I was so weak. I would shower and wash the ‘important parts’ and then immediately lay on the floor to catch my breath before drying off. Once, I woke up on the floor with pain on my right cheek…apparently I blacked out and hit a wall. No one understood.
    As soon as I found out I was pregnant with baby number two, I immediately got on zofran. For me personally, this was the best thing ever. I took it for 8 months and had a very decent pregnancy.
    Six years later (at age 40), surprise! Baby number three is on the way. I had nausea (not HG), but I was determined to do it on no nausea meds due to my age and risks for the baby. The nausea went away after 13 weeks. No HG.
    You should do what’s best for you and your family. I would encourage you to think (just maybe) about pregnancy again, because I’m old (LOL…now I’m 42) and I am so happy my children have each other. God always makes a way. We’ve been through so much (not just HG) and I promise you…no matter what it was…God always made a way. Best wishes to you and your lovely family! So not telling you what to do…HG is the WORST! Just hoping that if you do decide to get pregnant, it’s so much better for you.

1. busylittleizzy says:

Thank you! It’s nice to hear a story of the second baby being so much better. Zofran unfortunately didn’t help me much. It’s exciting to hear someone say it was a better experience the second time around.

23. Shay says:

I wish I could hug you. Thank you for this… seriously. I’ve just gotten to the third trimester and I’m already likely to smack the next person who comments about my HG. I cannot imagine going through this again. Thanks for making me feel less alone 🙂

1. busylittleizzy says:

Shay, thank you for connecting with me! It’s a very isolating feeling & I️ still get questions about having more kids. People tell me still that it might be different. They don’t fully understand it’s a risk I️ don’t want to take. You are not alone!!❤️